Monday, April 5, 2010

WHIPDA Monthly Match

We had the monthly match this weekend. It was a pretty good match, we tried a couple of ideas that we were thinking about using in the Labor Day match we are doing this year. It was also the first monthly match I shot with my new gun, a Springfield 1911 9mm. I have only had it for about a week or so and needed to get a match with it so I can feel comfortable with it at Corpus this weekend.

Forst of all the gun runs great and is a blast to shoot. The 1911 platform always points well and in 9mm it is a super flat, quick shooting gun. There are a couple of things I am getting used to that differ slightly from my M&P but overall it is working pretty well for me. I have shot and won 2 weekly matches and this monthly match I did OK, 4th overall and it wasn't the gun that let me down.

This match had some movement, some movers, and some other things that made your choices important. Most of the choices I made were pretty good, I just slipped a little bit in the execution in some areas. I have been working on my trigger control but I still had a few shots that were off do to bad trigger work. I was also not focusing on just the front sight, I was thinking about other things while I was shooting so I went a little slower than I though I could. I got good hits but was just a tick slow, especially on transitions. Overall a good match tough, was happy with how I shot and feel that I am ready for this weekend at Corpus and next weekend at Space City.

Lessons Learned:

Not a whole bunch more than what I mentioned, just focus on the front sight and the rest will take care of itself. Don't get lost in the minutia of the stage becuse it will just slow you down. Also make your choice on ho to shoot the stage and then stick to it. Even if you watched someone else do it another way stick to your plan. It is your plan and most likely will be better for your shooting, stick to it, trust it and then execute it.

No comments:

Post a Comment