Monday, April 19, 2010

2010 Space City Challenge

This past weekend was the Space City Challenge. I don't shoot a bunch of USPSA matches and my performance this weekend showed. I was slow on some stages due to bad planning or very bad execution of my plan and on top of that my trigger control was not what I needed. I have been shooting my 1911 9mm in IDPA for a month or so and had neglected to get some decent practice in with my production gun and it showed. I had a bunch of misses, not off the paper but just off target where they caught the hard cover.

The Match itself was a lot of fun. The stages were all pretty good, there were a couple that made you really plan which targets you were engaging from each spot so you didn't skip one or waste time by shooting one twice. I made some real bone head moves that really cost me time, like hitting a steel activator and just waiting for the swinger....and waiting.....and waiting.....but then realizing that it didn't activate. It is always tough for me to get in a groove when shooting USPSA because of the scoring system and shooting with guys running open and limited guns. I have a pretty good feel for what a good stage in IDPA would be but get a little lost on that aspect when shooting USPSA. That will improve when I shoot more.

I did finish second in C Production which is OK but a little bit of a let down since I should be a B class shooter and be running with some of the A class guys. I just never got in the groove and couldn't get things rolling to build on some momentum. There is always next match though so I will practice some and get back on track

Lessons Learned:

Don't take the shooting for granted. If you haven't used a platform for a few months don't assume that when you go back to it you will pick up where you were. If you plan on shooting a particular gun at a big match get some practice in with it and don't assume anything.

Sights are great and getting them on target as quick as possible is what you want but don't forget about the trigger control. Leaving that piece out makes all the sight work a moot point.

Even when you think your match is going real bad go into every stage as a fresh stage. Let the one you can't change go and work on nailing the one you are about to shoot.

Here is the video.............if anything it keep some amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment