Tuesday, April 13, 2010

2010 Coastal Bend Challenge - ESP Division Champion

The IDPA 2010 Coastal Bend Challenge was this past weekend. IT was a pretty good match, the stages were pretty good and the weather threatened rain but it stayed away long enough for us to shoot. I had a pretty good match and was real happy about how I shot. I could have gone a little faster and I knew that while I was shooting but I was working hard on just taking the time I needed to see the front sight, no more time, no less. Where I lost a little time was on transitions and some movement. I still need to work on those things. I shot well enough to win ESP Division Champion and I was 3rd overall out of 100 shooters.

The things I didn't like about the match were some of the interpretations of the rules. They allowed some things that are really not legal and that were against the rulebook, most of the calls may have made the match easier but when you are used to following what the rulebook says you kinda get a little lost when it isn't followed. I will say that they were consistent on how they applied the rules they were using so that did help a little. As I mentioned the stages were pretty good but it would have been better if the rules were 100% followed.

I have been shooting a 1911 9mm for the last month and it is really a great shooter. I was able to make up for some slower movement and other things by getting faster and more accurate splits. I am real happy in the way the gun is handling and it is very accurate so as long as I do my part I know I will get good hits.

The only stage that caused me a little trouble was stage 3. I shot this right after lunch and I didn't get my head completely back into shooting mode. You had to fire 6 rounds while backing out of a hallway and I got more wrapped up in counting my shots instead of focusing where those shots were going. It didn't hurt me too bad though, I was only 8 down but at most I think about 3 down should have been max on that stage. I shot the whole match only 20 down, no misses, not 3's, no penalties, just a clean match. That is what you need to do if you want to run up front.

This weekend is Space City, a USPSA match, then the Texas State IDPA match in about 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment