Monday, April 7, 2014

2014 TX Open Championship

The first match of the year has come and gone and the 2014 TX Open Championship is in the books.  Pretty decent finish, 2nd overall in Production (1st GM after division winner) but a little to far behind the winner.  He shot a real smooth and error free match and I was a little off the pace.

Here is the video....



I started the match on stage 1 and shot 1-8 on the first day.  A strong line of storms blew through the night before so the first few stages were a little muddy, kinda had a slight effect on scores since 2 of them were 160 point stages with movement.

Stage 1 was OK, the second time.  The video is the first run and at the end I was going back to the last target on the right to make up a miss that I shot.........to make up a miss.  The RO was right there and blocked me so I got a reshoot.  It was an ok start to the match but was a little slow because I couldn't really get my footing on the right side.

Stage 2

I shot pretty decent points but my time was way off, partly because of the deep mud in the start position but also due to a poor plan.  I think the plan would have been better in the dry but it was still not the right one.

Stage 3

Pretty quick stage with 2 disappearing targets on the left activated by a bear trap.  All that was required was that they be activated.  My plan was to shoot everything then just activate them but after loosing time on the last popper I decided to shoot one of them to get a few more points.  Would have been a great stage if I didn't rush the shots on the popper.

Stage 4

Not the most friendly Prod stage with a few reloads in such a small area but it went OK.  I decided on a conservative plan that added an extra reload but meant I wasn't shooting to 11 on steel then to 10 on the next array.  I shot mostly A's, only 2 C's

Stage 5

Pretty straightforward stage, the first one after lunch.  I was a little to deliberate with my shooting and choppy while moving.  I thought I pulled off a target early before the reload and for some reason took a look at it before reloading and moving, cost me a little time.

Stage 6

Pretty solid stage

Stage 7

This was a stage win for me and a real strong run.  It was about the only reload that really nailed on the whole match.  I was real happy about the plan.

Stage 8

Started out ok but missed my grip on the first reload and tried to force the shots on the poppers anyway.  They both required make ups which cost me more time than just fixing my grip.  The rest of the stage was ok but got a touch sloppy in the back half trying to get some time back, it cost me a C or 2 but not a total match killer.

Stage 9

This was a fun stage and I had a pretty good plan.  I shot a strong stage and only had one hiccup on the last reload which was a slide lock reload.

Stage 11

Pretty solid run to finish out the match.  Made a slight mental area after shooting the right side window, started to reload and caught myself.

I really enjoyed the match and the entire match staff was awesome.  Many thanks to them for all the hard work they put into such a good match.

No comments:

Post a Comment