Monday, March 12, 2012


2012 LA State IDPA Championship

            The opening match of my 2012 season ahs come and gone and even though I had a few slight issues I finished fairly well.  I was 1st place SSP Master and 3rd overall out of 150+ shooters.  I know in my last post here I was talking about using the Glock and that it was going well…….well after a lot of comparisons I decided to go back to the CZ 75 Shadow.  It is may a touch slower but I have the confidence to make the tough shots and in IDPA that goes a long way.

I will do a quick breakdown of the stages…

Stage 1 – A quick 6 reload 6 drill.  Went pretty well just relaxed my focus a touch on the last shot and dropped 1 point. 

Stage 2 – Pretty decent stage but was playing Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits around the barrel at P2.  It cost me a little bit of time.

Stage 3 – This was the first stage I shot, and it went pretty well considering it was early, a little chilly, and more that a touch slippery.

Stage 4 – I was going pretty good on the stage until the last target.  Ther tarp they used to enclose the building was flapping around inside the door and I couldn’t get a good sight picture on the last target.  Took a little time to find the -0 and then with it slightly obscured I ended up with a make up shot I didn’t need.

Stage 5 – The boat.  Interesting stage and I was glad I didn’t have to shoot it early.  With targets placed behind a picket fence I knew I would be better off waiting until later in the day.  This is why I don’t think a prop like this is best for a sanctioned match.  I cost myself time on the swinger, as soon as I was done shooting I knew I should have attacked that differently.

Stage 6 – Good stage with a choice of going left or right first.  I shot it in a good time but got sloppy on the movers.  They were easy shots but for some reason I decided to put a little lead on them even though they were barely moving, this cost me 5 points on those 2 targets.

Stage 7 – I had a good plan but the targets were tucked in behind stacks of barrels at 15+ yards.  I knew I had 2 shots hit the barrels so I had to make them up which forced me to reload before I move instead of while I was moving.  Again cost me time.

Stage 8 – This was the most interesting stage.  15 targets (11 static, 1 swinger, 1 dropturner, and 2 steel) all getting 1 scored shot.  The stage was not scored Limited Vickers but they made it so by limiting the rounds you could carry, gun loaded to 6 and 6 rounds in only 2 other ammo devices regardless of division.  Interesting concept but I am not sure the legality of handing out multiple FTN’s in this stage.  I shot it OK but rushed 1 shot, called a wide 1 but it turned out to be barely a 3…………..and a FTN.

Stage 9 – Another good stage as far as design but this one cost me the most out of the few bobbles I had in the match.  The 3rd target I engaged was an easy stating but I rushed the shot to get to the swinger when it was in the position I wanted and that got me a miss.  Again the used a picket fence, this time in front of a pop-up target.  I didn’t index to the right spot when the target cam up and had to pop 2 rounds quickly, of course the last one found the fence and didn’t score on the target, so that was another miss.  13 down on that stage was just a killer.

Final thoughts

Overall the match went well.  The stages were fun to shoot and the match staff was great as usual.  I left atleast 16 seconds out there in sloppy of unlucky shooting, 41 points down and half of that in 2 stages is not good enough to get it done.  I will be working on a few things and be back at it in a few weeks at the MVSA Regional.  

1 comment:

  1. wow , looks great , I really want to try that
    thanks for sharing, i will share this on my facebook
    windows 8 , office 2013 on www.getsoftwarekey.com

    ReplyDelete