Friday, February 26, 2010

Practice, practice, practice

I have been doing a lot of practicing lately, sometimes I can't tell if it is helping. I have been shooting a bunch of local matches, both IDPA and USPSA trying to apply some of the stuff I have been working on during the practice sessions. I can see an improvement in certain areas like transitions since that is one area I knew I needed to work on. I have dropped about .2 off transitions by learning to snap the eyes and trust the shot instead of double checking the sights. I have found though that some other areas are now popping up that I need to work on. I guess that is the way it goes though, fix one thing and then find the next to work on. And now that I have a goal oriented practice routine I am noticing things more and critically analyzing my shooting to find those areas.

I have noticed that I am getting good hits and splits on closer targets, and targets that are easier. Where I am noticing issues is longer shots, maybe 20 yards, and tougher shots (like hard cover targets). I think I am applying the same thought to those as I am to all targets and getting to quick. I need to get a better sight picture on those and work the trigger better. I worked on that today.

I set up the IDPA classifier as good way to concentrate on some of the longer shots and to make sure I can get clean hits. I did some work on the infamous Stage 3 and ended up shooting it in 97.08 and 43 down. That is at least 13 seconds faster than my previous best time and the last stage wasn't really the killer. I just got a little sloppy up close. I ran it a second time to get a good baseline and shot it in 99.71 so it looks like my practicing is paying off a little.

I need to keep working on it so if/when I make Master I can actually compete with and challenge the current masters.

Video of my classifier run is linked below and it show many areas I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment